She'll make your troubles disappear with just a shimmy and a smile!

Monday, July 27, 2009

Boston's Golden Goddess: Honey Suckle Duvet


Honey Suckle Duvet is Boston's most delicious hidden treasure. She got her start in 2005 as an exotic dance student and in 2006 joined the award winning Boston Burlesque Troupe Babes in Boinkland. She is now a blossoming solo artist and teacher. I had the pleasure of meeting this lovely Honey at the year’s Burlesque Hall of Fame Weekend and she is definitely a Honey after my own heart!


What was the inspiration behind your name?

I picked the name Honey when I took an exotic dance class, my skin is a golden brown and I liked the idea of being something sweet.

I added Suckle because when I started doing Burlesque I realized that every self respecting Burlesque dancer has at least two names.

I wanted to add one more name for two reasons. One I ran into a Honeysuckle at a show, and second it is easier you Google the only competition is from bedding companies who knew there were so many Duvets with Honeysuckles on them.
I did not pick Duvet. I was named on a podcast called Jordan Jesse Go, the host and guest Jonathan Coulton internet music superstar helped pick my name.

How did you get your start in Burlesque?

I started Burlesque after taking a striptease / pole dancing class. I really liked it and was really confident and gave the class my all so a few weeks after I started I was asked to teach. One year into my teaching gig I auditioned for a burlesque troupe. It seemed Burlesques was close to what I was teaching in my class because it was not JUST stripping it was about being sensual and having tons of attitude and confidence.

You recently attended your first Burlesque Hall of Fame Weekend. How did you enjoy your experience? Of all the marvelous performances that weekend which ones were your personal favorites?

Immodesty Blaze was hands down my favorite. She was so graceful and seductive and subtle yet big. As a whole the weekend was inspiring and intimidating. I didn’t know Burlesque could be that good. I thought I was a pretty good performer and then I realized that even if I am good I am still only in like the 4th grade in the Burlesque world.

You teach a class called Burlesque for Better Body Image, which focuses on women using burlesque as a means to raise self confidence and become comfortable with their bodies. What inspired to start this class and how has taking on the role of teacher affected you as a performer?

In college I studied theatre, dance, and human services so that I could use performing arts to help women to feel safe in their bodies. Then came burlesque a combination of theatre and dance so I am really just getting to fulfill my original goal.

As a performer it keeps me on my game because people don't want a sloppy dancers as a teacher and also it keeps my spirits up to be around people who are bettering themselves and just signing up for the class seems to make people feel good.

Your latest piece is a one woman theatrical production called Genesis of Honey: Survivor to Siren. Tell us a little about the piece? Did you ever have any apprehension about doing a piece that is so personal?

This is my 4th one woman show and I love doing them. They have all helped me and been fun to do. It’s about how I started doing Burlesques and some trauma from my past that really messed up the way I looked at my body and sex. As a part of my healing process I really started to feel safer in my own skin and really just like being me in general.

Who are you inspired by?


Well I have a weird mix.

Louise L. Hay, new age/self-help/spirituality author who over came some horrible odds to take back her life and has helped so many people with her books, publishing house, workshops, and all around up lifting spirit


Jem - of Jem and the Holograms because "Jem is truly outrageous truly truly truly outrageous."

Madonna back in the day when she was still hungry and doing her thing and making us love her for being her.

Wayne Dyer as an author and speaker has inspired me book after book and talk after talk.

If you could offer one word of advice for up and coming performers, what would it be?

Find out where people are NOT doing Burlesque and carve out a name for your self while still being a part of the community and learning. This gives you more freedom to grow.


What does the future hold for Honey? What do you think the future holds for burlesque in general?

I think Burlesque will grow and have more and more types of dance and dancers and audience members. There is going to be so much variety in the look and feel that people will not be able to stay away.

As for me I am branching out more and more into producing shows, workshops, and eventually writing a book. In 2010 I will be bringing my one woman show to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in Scotland.


Want more of the lovely Miss Duvet? Visit www.honeysuckleduvet.com